We Could Be In Love
written by GlenBurtnick & Shelly Peiken
performed by Lea Salonga & Brad Kane

The summer evening is calm and balmy, its pleasant warmth lulling the senses: a perfect night to sit close to someone and watch the stars. Kaoru moves softly through the dojo's living area, her footsteps in time with the gentle beat of the music beginning to quietly swell in the background. Like a nervous schoolgirl she pauses by the opened shoji to pouf her ribbon and straighten her obi, then peeks shyly around the thin partition to catch sight of Kenshin. Her pulse races just a little -- the way it always does when she's alone with him -- and she presses her hand to her chest as if to still the nervous fluttering within.

Be still my heart, lately its mind is all its own
It would go far and wide, just to be near you

Gathering her courage she steps outside, saying his name in the lingering, almost-breathy way that makes his insides tremble and knot with a welcome hunger, a coaxing eagerness. Suddenly, for him the night is all the more welcoming, all the sweeter for her presence. Half-turning he smiles, stirring similar longings within her.

Even the stars shine a bit bright I've noticed
When you're close to me

Blushing slightly as Kenshin helps her onto the roof, Kaoru briefly hesitates, naively flustered over sharing the blanket he's already spread over the tiles. How close is too close?

Still it remains a mystery

Yahiko rolls his eyes at their hesitant courting, the way their hands almost touch, each seeking to hold the other even in so small a fashion. Disgusted, he moves closer to where Tae and Tsubame are already settled, placing himself in a similar position without even realizing it.

Anyone who's seen us,
Knows what's going on between us
It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines

Kenshin chuckles gently, undisturbed by Yahiko's intolerant glares, and glances sidelong at Kaoru. Still slightly pink-cheeked, she moves just a little nearer; taking that as encouragement, he covers her slender fingers with his own sword-calloused palm, their clasped hands hidden in the fall of their sleeves as they nestle as close together as propriety allows.

And it's not just wishful thinking,
Or only me who's dreaming
I know what these are symptoms of, we could be in love

In the morning Kaoru awakens slowly and stretches luxuriantly, her fingers reaching high above her head as she wiggles her toes. Smiling at pleasant dreams she rises and dons a blue and white kimono, sliding open the shoji as she hears Kenshin's voice, the faint splashing which tells her he's already hard at work with the laundry.

I ask myself why I sleep like a baby through the night
Maybe it helps to know you'll be there tomorrow

Kenshin's eyes are closed, his hands deep in the wash water even as he plays some sort of peek-a-boo game with Ayame-chan and Suzume-chan. Biting her bottom lip in an effort not to giggle Kaoru joins them, slipping her hands over his eyes in place of the Ayame's. The little girls crow with merriment when he pretends to not know it's her, and chuckling in return he gently captures her wrists, pulling her fingers away from his face.

Don't open my eyes, I'll wake from the spell I'm under
Makes me wonder how

Kaoru's blue eyes soften at his careful touch, the brief caress of his breath against her wrist as he half-turns to wish her good morning.

Tell me how I could live without you now

Wrinkling her nose teasingly Kaoru brushes his hair back from his face, lingering over its softness and blushing faintly pink when he teases her in return. Yahiko makes an appearance on the porch to demand breakfast, promptly sparking a mind-your-manners argument with Ayame-chan and her tiny echo Suzume-chan. Without thought she leans into him, her hip resting against his shoulder while the couple laughs at the children's antics.

And what about the laughter
The happy ever after
Like voices of sweet angels, calling out our names

When she offers him her hand as he starts to rise, Kenshin accepts simply for the excuse it offers to touch her. In the kitchen she watches attentively as he begins preparing the miso soup and rice, helping by trying her best to stay out of the way. Their conversation is comfortable and companionable, filled with shared looks -- like a married couple reveling in the simple act of caring for one another.

And it's not just wishful thinking,
Or only me who's dreaming
I know what these are symptoms of, we could be in love

Kenshin's violet gaze is gentle and warm as he watches Kaoru arrange the trays, fussing over the placement of chopsticks and tea. It's the little things she does that truly touch him, letting him know that something he was searching for since before Tomoe's death has finally been found. For her part, she silently marvels over her sweet-tempered rurouni, and how lucky she is to have him -- no matter how he came to be there.

All my life I have dreamed of this, but I could not see your face
Don't ask why two such distant stars can fall right into place

They carry the trays into the living area as Sano arrives, just in time - as always - to join them for the meal. Taking a seat beside Yahiko, he badgers Kenshin good-naturedly about how domestic he is, watching hungrily as Kaoru spoons rice into the waiting bowls. Their fingers touch briefly as she passes the rurouni his, hers linging over long before releasing the bowl, and chuckling Sano teases them about that as well.

Anyone who's seen us
Knows what's going on between us
It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines

Rolling her eyes, Kaoru glances sideling at the rurouni to find him glancing sidelong at her. They both smile, relaxing under each other's acceptance of the obvious. Let Sano joke... it's only the truth, and a not unwelcome one at that.

And it's not just wishful thinking,
Or only me who's dreaming
I know what these are symptoms of, we could be in love

Yahiko asks if they're going to stare at each other all day like a couple of love-sick bakayarou, and Kaoru drops her gaze, blushing red with both embarrassment and the stirrings of anger. Kenshin's calm voice quietly defuses the situation with a simple phrase:  Sessha thought he might.

Oh it doesn't take a genius, to know what these are symptoms of

Chuckling, Sano ushers a demandingly curious Yahiko out of the room as Kaoru's surprised blue eyes meet Kenshin's loving violet ones.

We could be... Oh... We could be...
We could be in love... We could be in...
We could be in love...

The couple draws together for a kiss, and watching from the doorway Sano makes a comment that makes both man and women smile against one another's lips.

"It's about time."

Sekihara Tae
tae@sekihara.dreamhost.com
January 19, 2000


Fanfiction || Out Drink Sano! || The Perfect... || Nishiki-e || Site Seeing
Sukiyaki || Awards || Spoiler Warning || Disclaimer || Mind Your Manners! || E-mail Tae