Falling
Performed by Donna Lewis

[Kaoru stands on the riverbank with tears in her eyes and a wide blue ribbon in her hand, insisting that Kenshin take it before seeking to finish his fight with Jineh. It is the closest either has come to acknowledging what is building between them, something each recognizes in the sudden silence following her words.]
Maybe we've gone too far... Biting her trembling lower lip she waits for his reaction.
Hesitant but wanting, he reaches to take the silken fabric from her. Another emotional tie on me... The unspoken worry impresses itself upon him as she smiles in relief, blossoms into anger as Jineh takes her from him.
...and I don't know who you really are. It is a new, unwelcome realization, born of witnessing the Battousai's cold determination.

[Night time. His expression partially hidden in the fall of his hair, Kenshin confesses his fear that the Battousai will return a third time, and tells Kaoru that he is leaving to fight Shishio.]

Putting my trust in you, safe in your presence I will be. Folded in his embrace, struggling against her tears, her protest is as clear as words and far more eloquent.
If I thought it was the thing to do... It would be so easy to stay, to hold her forever. Forcing himself to let go, he turns quickly away. With you...

It feels like I'm falling

Deeper into the unknown. Falling to her knees, tears spilling between her fingers, she whimpers his name.
I'm losing the fight to stay alone. Torn at the sound of her tears, not wanting to leave, Kenshin's footsteps are slow and heavy as he walks away.

[Their separate yet equal anguish is shown split screen: one silent, the other given painful voice.]

I'm falling, falling for you.

[Hiko's cabin. Kenshin halts as Kaoru's voice rings out, reluctant yet needy, asking if he is angry with her.]

Where do we go from here? Her blue gaze fixes anxiously on his back as she waits for his reply. Why do we stand in silence waiting for the other to make a move? Yes we do. Things she's wanted to say are caught in her throat, her emotions tangled. Kenshin...
And how do I feel right now?  "Half of me is. But for the other half, I'm somehow... relieved." Stepping out of my private world into something that scares me so... you know. "You don't know where Shishio's men could be hiding, so be careful."

It feels like I'm falling

Deeper into the unknown. Kaoru watches as he walks away, his response less than she'd hoped for, but better than nothing.
I'm losing the fight to stay alone. Part of him wants to send her back to Tokyo; the larger part needs her there.

I'm falling, falling for you.

[Random images - discoveries - flicker across the screen: Kenshin and Kaoru learning about each other.]

Maybe I don't want to know... Kaoru's expression when she first learns that Kenshin was the hitokiri Battousai.
Maybe I want to feel for you... Kenshin's tender look as she faints in his arms the first time he saves her from Gohei.
Maybe I don't want to know... Tears stream down Kaoru's face as she watches the Battousai fight Saitoh.
Maybe I want to feel for you... The reflexive clenching of Kenshin's fist as Saitoh threatens her, his later anger when the ex-Shinsengumi captain mocks their relationship.
Maybe I don't want to know... Her face stark with sorrow as he tells them about his past - about Tomoe..
Maybe I want to feel for you... His tears at the sight of Enishi's jinchuu.

Falling deeper into the unknown
I'm losing the fight to stay alone

Kaoru smiles shyly as Kenshin offers her his hand at Tomoe's grave, blushing at his gentle touch.

I'm falling, falling for you.



Sekihara Tae
tae@sekihara.dreamhost.com
October 30, 1999


Fanfiction || Out Drink Sano! || The Perfect... || Nishiki-e || Site Seeing
Sukiyaki || Awards || Spoiler Warning || Disclaimer || Mind Your Manners! || E-mail Tae