Little Rabbit Fuu Fuu

I'd planned to leave this one as something silly I just posted to the Kenshin fanfic ML, but someone wanted it for their webpage (insert amazed look here), so I thought I ought to go ahead and post it at the Akabeko, too. However... it's going to take some explaining...

First, you'll need to know that "Kiriko" is Kenshin & Kaoru's daughter, a character I created for Strengths & Weaknesses. In working on Strengths, I got to thinking that Hiko would make an interesting adoptive grandfather for Kiriko... which led to another in-progress fic called Taken With the Notion.

Second... you know how songs get stuck in your head and you can't get them out? Well... for some reason, Sae and I are particularly susceptible to "Little Rabbit Fuu Fuu". (Ororoooo...) It popped in my head one morning -- I have no idea why -- and since I couldn't get it out, I thought she should share the fun.

So I mentioned it to her in email.

I know, I know... that was an evil thing to do, ne?

Demo... she got instant and immediate revenge, when the following scene impressed itself upon me even as I typed...

Hiko sat on the log in front of his kiln, Kiriko perched on his knee. "Wai, wai!" she laughed, clapping her hands, "Again! Again!"

Hiko glanced around the clearing to make sure they were still alone, and then held up two fingers, crooked like bunny ears. "Little rabbit Fuu Fuu, running through the forest," he sang, bouncing the crooked fingers up and down like a bunny hopping, "scooping up the field mice and bopping 'em on the head!" As he sang "bopping", he fisted one hand and brought the other down on top of it, making a satisfying smacking noise. Taking a deep breath, and pausing for Kiriko's giggle, he then started the second verse, now in a high falsetto. "And the Good Fairy said 'little rabbit Fuu Fuu I don't want to see you scooping up the field mice and bopping 'em on the head!'" This emphatic statement was accompanied by the scolding shake of his finger. "'I'll give you three more chances.'"

Behind a tree on the edge of the clearing, Kenshin and Kaoru collapsed in laughter as Hiko began the first verse again, giving little rabbit Fuu Fuu the first of his three chances.

I'm really not on ANYTHING...



Sekihara Tae
tae@sekihara.dreamhost.com
February 26, 1999


Fanfiction || Out Drink Sano! || The Perfect... || Nishiki-e || Site Seeing
Sukiyaki || Awards || Spoiler Warning || Disclaimer || Mind Your Manners! || E-mail Tae